Looking for the perfect appetizer salad to any meal OR the perfect main salad this winter? This winter salad is literally pure perfection! Simple, fresh, delicious and various ways to make different variations – this winter salad is destined to be a must-eat meal this winter. Keep reading to see how to make this delicious Winter Salad ASAP!
I am OBSESSED with this winter salad. It is super easy to make, takes a few ingredients you probably already have on hand and can be changed and jazzed up to make it perfect just about any occasion.
- Greens of choice (I love spinach but you can also use things like romaine, arugula, radicchio, mustard greens or kale)
- Fruit of choice (for this one we are using apples but you can also use things like fresh pears, pomegranate seeds, poached pears , grapefruit, etc)
- Candied nuts (for this recipe we are using candied walnuts but candied pecans or roasted cashews make a great choice as well)
- Favorite crumbled cheese (I love a great Gorgonzola crumble but if you aren’t in to a bleu cheese like vibe you can always use a goat cheese crumble as well).
Can you make this salad in advance?
- When it comes to salads I am not a huge fan of making them in advance; however you can prep the dressing in advance and make the candied walnuts in advance! I wouldn’t recommend chopping the apples in advance as they can brown easily and you want them to be as fresh as possible when serving.
- I do however like to wash and have my greens washed and ready for when it is time. I also tend to pre-measure out my mix ins ahead of time (minutes the fruit) and store it all in the refrigerator. Chop my apples last and then toss everything right before serving. Simple, fast, fresh and delicious.
The Perfect Winter Salad
- 6 cups Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- 2 Crisp Apples I like using Granny Smith or Honeycrisp (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbles
- 1/ cup Candied Walnuts roughly chopped
For The Dressing
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsbp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 tsbp Honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
**Prepare the Candied Walnuts:**
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add the candied walnuts and toast them for about 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Remove from heat and let them cool.
**Make the Balsamic Vinaigrette:**
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
**Assemble the Salad:**
- In a large salad bowl, combine the fresh spinach leaves, thinly sliced apples, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, and the candied walnuts.
**Dress the Salad:**
- Drizzle the prepared balsamic vinaigrette over the salad ingredients.
**Toss and Serve:**
- Gently toss the salad to evenly coat all the ingredients with the vinaigrette.
- Divide the Winter Salad onto individual plates and serve immediately.
– Feel free to customize your Winter Salad by adding grilled chicken or roasted turkey for some extra protein.
– You can also sprinkle some dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds for a burst of sweetness and color.
WAYS TO JAZZ IT UP A BIT!
Want to make this salad a bit hearty? Add your favorite protein on top. A few great options are:
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Roasted Turkey Breast
Want to add some extra veggies or variations? Below are a few of our favorite add-ins.
- Roasted Sweet Potato
- Brussel Sprouts (shaved)
- Red Onion
- Pomegranate seeds
- Dried Cranberries
- Goat Cheese (instead of gorgonzola)
- Sliced Pears
- Candied Pecans
So there you have it, the perfect winter salad that everyone who tried it will enjoy! Be sure to let me know if you make this dish and let me know in the comments a few of your favorite things to serve or jazz up this winter salad for your liking!