Looking for the perfect New Year’s Eve board? I have you covered with an elaborate and delicious display of Surf & Turf in the perfect Surf & Turf Board. Not only are you combining the flavors of the land and sea in a visually appealing and delicious way- your Surf & Turf Board will be the talk of the town. Keep reading to see how to create this amazingly delicious Surf & Turf Board for NYE, any entertaining gathering or a date night dinner!
Let’s be honest- Surf & Turf doesn’t always have to be reserved for a fancy night out, a dinner date or any special occasion- it can be for just about anything! This NYE take your typical Surf & Turf and turn it into the perfect Surf & Turf board that everyone will rave about for many New Year’s Eve to come. You all know I love my boards and this one does NOT disappoint. It is super simple to create and assemble and all you need are the regular ingredients you would use for a charcuterie board and then add the Surf and the Turf. Here are some ingredients to help you get started below:
STEAK // Use your favorite steak or whatever steak is budget friendly to feed your party! For this board I like to use either Ribeye (it is great for a steak flavor as it has great marbling and flavor) or a Sirloin Streak (which is great because it is naturally lean)- but you can easily use a Filet Mignon, Tomahawk, T-Bone or New York Strip – the best part is that it is your choice.
SEAFOOD // Use your favorite seafood to feed your party. I love to use a mix of seafood for more than 6 people. A few favorites are scallops and jumbo shrimp. You can get super fancy and use Lobster Tails or even King Crab Legs as well.
CHEESE // Cheese for me is important, and quality is key. When selecting cheese for this type of board – I tend to use at least 2-3 cheeses with various texture and flavor profiles.
CONDIMENTS // No charcuterie board is complete without condiments. For the perfect Surf & Turf Board we choose to use an array of condiments from chimicurru sauce and horseradish cream sauce for the steak, cocktail sauce and garlic aioli for the seafood or steak. You can always add things like stone ground mustard, olive tapenade, pesto sauce and more to your board.
BREAD & CRACKERS // For this bard I chose to add some toasted baguettes so people can make perfect little bites. However, you can always use multigrain crackers, breadsticks or even pita chips to your board.
VEGETABLES // When it comes to vegetables you dont need a ton of veggies. I like to keep it simple and add things like olives, marinated pickles, or go super grilled like this board I did asparagus spears – but you can also add things like roasted brussels sprouts, artichokes or even roasted red peppers.
Perfect Pairings for a Surf & Turf Board
For the perfect surf & turf board it honestly depends on what your guest all love. You can do a variety of pairings – but here are a few other ideas to put together a Surf & Turf board:
- Smoked Salmon
- Shrimp (we used here on this board)
- Crab Legs or Crab Dip
- Ceviche with diced fish
- Oysters on the half shell
Turf (The Meats)
- Sliced Roast Beef
- Sliced Prime Rib
- Sliced Steak (we used Ribeye Steak for this recipe)
- Salami or Chorizo
- Prosciutto or other cured meats
- Pate or Terrine
- Creamy brie or camembert
- Sharp cheddar
- Gouda (we used Gouda on this board)
- Baked Brie Cheese (we used Brie on this board)
- Blue cheese
- Smoked cheese
- Assorted crackers and/or breadsticks
- Toasted Baguette Slices
- Grapes or figs
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts)
- Olives (green and black varieties)
- Dijon mustard or honey mustard
- Fresh herbs (such as dill or parsley)
- Lemon wedges
- Pickles or pickled vegetables
Dips & Sauces
- Aioli or garlic mayo
- Horseradish sauce
- Cocktail sauce
- Chimicurri sauce
- Any other sauces you might like
The Perfect Surf & Turf Board
For The Turf
- 1 lb Ribeye or Sirloin Steak cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper add to taste
For The Surf
- 1 lb Large Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 lb Fresh Scallops
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper add to taste
- 2 Lemon Cut into wedges / used for serving
Additional Items For The Board
- 1 Brie Cheese
- 1 Gouda Cheese
- Sliced and Toasts Baguettes or Crackers
- Fresh Asparagus
For The Sauces
- Cocktail Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Horseradish Cream
Prepare The Steak
- Season the steak pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the steak to your desired level of doneness, about 2-3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let it rest, then slice into bite-sized pieces.
Prepare The Seafood
- Season the shrimp and scallops with salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side until pink and opaque.
- Sear the scallops for about 2 minutes per side until they have a golden crust.
- Set aside on a plate and squeeze some lemon juice over them.
Assemble The Board
- On a large serving board, arrange the cooked steak and shrimp
- Add different types of cheeses around the board.
- Place the grilled vegetables in sections on the board.
- Add slices of baguette or a selection of crackers.
- Fill small bowls with olives, pickles, and various sauces, and place them on the board.
- Garnish, Serve and ENJOY!
Tips For The Perfect Surf & Turf Board
- Consider the aesthetics of color and texture when arranging items on the board.
- Use small cheese knives and seafood forks for easy serving.
- Tailor the board to your preferences and the preferences of your guests.
- Experiment with different flavor combinations for a well-rounded experience.
What Wine to Pair with This Perfect Surf & Turf Board?
For this board I like to pair accordingly. I love pairing a great white wine like the J.Lohr Arroyo Vista Chardonnay. Not only is this wine absolutely delicious with its rich palate texture it equally balance with flavors of pear, lemon and a sweet oak finish which work perfectly when paired with a bit of Surf & Turf. You can also use a red wine like J.Lohr Hilltop Cabernet Sauvignon 2021, not only is this amazing wine and winner of many awards- it juicy blackberry and blueberry aromas are enhanced with a bit of spiced tea, herbs de Provence and crushed violet. Its the perfect wine to take to a holiday nighttime gathering as it goes amazing with tons of favors from ribeye to roasted potatoes and more. Whichever wine you choose to pair with your Surf & Turf Board – you will be delighted to know just about any of them go with this board.
So there you have it the Perfect Surf & Turf board to wow your guests this New Year’s Eve and beyond. From the perfect slice of steak to mouth watering seafood – the choices are endless and of course in a board format it just makes them so much more fun. What are a few of your favorite Surf & Turf Board pairings? Let me know in the comments below…